Spartanburg has the unique flair of a big city wrapped up in the friendliness of a small town. Once dubbed “Hub City” for its railroad industry, Spartanburg today is a center for so much more. From its thriving art and music scene, to its active, outdoor culture, Hub City offers something for everyone.
Spartanburg’s eclectic vibe is something Converse students love most. Some of the highlights are:
- HUB-BUB, one of the most innovative artist residence programs in the nation
- Morgan Square, a graceful city centric park hosting holiday ice skating, Jazz on the Square, College Town parties, and even a giant ferris wheel
- Seven public and private accredited colleges and universities
- Entertainment venues like Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium and the Chapman Cultural Center
- The Iron Yard, an innovative business incubator where Converse students have launched new ventures and more
It’s easy to enjoy the outdoor life in Spartanburg. Pack your hiking boots and explore our blueways and greenways, or grab your bike and trek miles of roads and trails. Croft State Park and the Swamp Rabbit Trail are just a few of the many parks and trails found in the area. Designated a Bicycle Friendly Community, Spartanburg is home to several B-Cycle stations with rentable bikes, including one right here on the Converse campus – making it easy to explore outdoors!
Converse is centrally located in the heart of Upstate South Carolina. Within a three-hour drive, you can enjoy:
- Award-winning cities of Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC
- Commercial and regional hubs of Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC
- Blue Ridge Mountain towns, like Blowing Rock, NC
- Lake communities of Keowee, Jocassee and Hartwell
- Recreational pursuits including hiking, biking and fishing
Come see why our students and faculty love where they live!